Finn's Age...

Saturday, March 1, 2008

The weather is improving slowly

Today... I can see sunshine! The sky is blue (as blue as it gets through the pollution in China) and it may even be warm in the direct sunlight. You may notice that I am still sounding apprehensive and a tad cynical, and you would also be correct in thinking that I may even venture out into the Chinese air to attempt some walking today.
As we are in the middle of nowhere out here, I still feel a little anxious about walking by myself as for blocks and blocks, there are still marshes and workers with no buildings and not many cars. Anything could happen and no one would really know. I have to rely on the idea that I am a guai-lou (white ghost) and I am just stared at by most Chinese as if I am a hideous creation and still a bit of a spectacle. It may even humor me to count how many Chinese men was wizzing by the side of the road today... I might count that and let you know.
On Wednesday, all the Grade 2's and teachers at school went on a trip around Suzhou to look at it's main tourist attractions. We went to Wen Temple, Pan Men and Canglangting. Each place is the oldest of it's type. This is what I found on the web on each place because when we went there, everyone was talking in Chinese. There is very little English writing to read and because you are watching your kids attentively, you miss a lot of stimulation.

Wen Temple
Literature God’s Temple, or Wen Chang Dian. In the ancient days, scholars who studied and sat for the Imperial examination would come to the Literature God’s temple to pray. Wen Shu Pusa, the God of Literature, chose the official rank of scholars in Imperial China and protected the fate of those who were chosen. Today it’s not unusual to see concerned parents and nervous students paying homage to the Literature God before sitting the exams in their high schools or universities. Frustrated novelists or journalists with writer’s block might also be seen pacing back and forth on the temple grounds, muttering to themselves and lighting incense.
Panmen Gate
Located at the southwest corner of the city, the Panmen Gate was first constructed in 514 B.C. The much younger present one was built in 1351.Consisting of both land and water gates, which are rarely seen in the rest of the country, Panmen Gate towers in a majestic manner. Inside the gate are the Ruiguang Pagoda and Wumen Bridge, which, with the gate, make up the three Sights of Panmen.
Canglangting Pavilion
Not only one of the four most renowned Suzhou gardens, Canglangting is also the oldest existing garden in the city and a model of Song-dynasty gardens. It was first constructed in the 10th century, and Su Shunqin, a poet of the Northern Song Dynasty (960-1127), gave it this name, meaning Surging Wave Pavilion. Its layout broke away from the traditional style of encircling tall walls. The garden is also an excellent illustration of "borrowing scenes" with the distant views seemingly within the garden. The rocks, winding corridor and flowery walls are the three characteristic features of Canglangting.
I honestly found each place somewhat disappointing. Coming out of winter, each place was dull and grey. It was cold and we were hungry. The temple was something to look at, but it was the stone tablets in a hidden room that they showed us that were of interest to me. We got to see the oldest map of the stars, the oldest map of China, the oldest map of Suzhou old town and and ancient inscription of the line of emperors, all inscribed on stone tablets. We were not allowed to take photographs of this - I got into trouble ;0. Canglangting was so small, cold, grey and bland. The kids were more interested in a talking bird than anything. Pan Men was probably of the most interest, it was big, with a huge pagoda, a lake and big fort for protection. It had the Panmen gates still there and that was really interesting.
My photos of the trip are on the computer at school and when I go and watch Kane play soccer today, I will get a copy and add them to this page.
Cheers,
I'm off for my walk...wish me luck
Kelly

No comments: